Friday, May 30, 2008

Bangalore 2nd Branch






It was that time of year again, the Bangalore 2nd branch activity. It was decided that we would go to Yellagiri, a "mountain" about 150 kilometers away. Since 150 kilometers is about 90 miles, you would think that it would take about 2 to 2.5 hours. We got to the church at 6:30am to get packed into the buses and start the drive out of Bangalore. Much to my discomfort, the bus didn't have air conditioning and 5 of us sat on a bench made for 3. 3 adults and 2 8 year old boys on our laps. The young adults sang Indian songs, the teenage girls payed excessive attention to the missionaries and the children ran up and down the aisles.
6 hours after we left, we arrived at the park. Yes, that's right. 6 hours. Either I can't do math or someone is under the delusion that 6 hours is an acceptable amount of time to go 90 miles. But, we arrived. I was covered in sweat, but I was there.
We ate lunch, which consisted of some unknown meat and 5 cups of rice...for each of us. If I had any foresight, I would have taken an eating utensil. Instead, I ate with my hands and become one with the people. There were activities and Bollywood dancing. There were families and children and stray dogs. There was even a cow living at the park, but I didn't approach it due to my last experience with such things.
We finally got back to the church at 10:30pm. For a couple hours there, I was sure that I had died and that this was my hell. But, then we made it back the church and back to my air conditioner. Even though it was a day of heat, sweat and eating rice with my hands, it was great to be with the ward members. The kids are so cute and the women are hilarious. Only 4 more weeks with them.

No comments: