Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Two kids for $10

(not these 2)

Today was an interesting day. I went to New Life today (where I volunteered last year). I taught my little class (Class/grade 2). They hadn't gone any further in their lessons than what we'd covered last week when I taught them. Apparently, their teacher hasn't been coming. I love those kids though. And I love teaching. I wish I could be with them every day and not have to go take care of the other girls in my group...but I guess it's necessary.

Sad story. At some point this afternoon, these 2 kids were brought to the orphanage. So sad. Their mom was trying to sell them both for the equivalent of $10. Her husband had died, her parents were dead, so she had no one to help her take care of hte kids. There is a 6 year old girl and a 3 year old boy. They're so darling. The little girl was being really brave, but the 3 year old boy was super scared, really quiet, and clingy to anyone who would hold his hand. I cried. Couldn't help it. It's just hard to believe that people actually do that sort of thing--sell their children...to who knows what. Someone heard her trying to sell them, said they couldn't buy the kids, but knew of New Life and asked the mom to bring them there. Good thing she did. I don' t think the mom has any intention of returning. New Life is a special place though--they're a family, and the kids take care of each other. They're taught to pray and to depend on God...and they do. Just sad. The little girl was trying her best to take care of her little brother. Ugh--breaks my heart.

After school, I went with a couple of other volunteers to take 11 kids swimming. I LOVE going swimming with them. They're just so funny. As we were in the pool, and I was having a ball with the kids, it made me really sad to realize that I have to go back to real life next week. I don't want to leave these kids. I can't even explain it.

The kids keep inviting me to come spend the night, so I think I am on Thursday. I might catch about a billion diseases, but it might be worth it. Do I really have to come home?

Thursday, I'm planning my internet field trip for the older kids. Did I tell you about that? Maybe I forgot to. The other day, I was walking by the Class 6 room, and they asked me to come in. Their teacher was out, but they were doing some self-study in their ICT book (IT, basically). They said they didn't understand. They were on page 1. It was about basic computer stuff. I asked if they knew what the internet was, and they all had blank stares on their faces. I drew a great diagram with a computer in Ghana, computer in the US, a nice globe, and did my best to explain. I asked if I could take the kids on a field trip and I got it approved, so Thursday looks like the day. I'm actually really, really excited about it.

Side note for today... I love seeing the women here with babies strapped on their backs with cloth, while carrying huge loads on their heads. Brings a whole new meaning to work/family balance. :) This one lady today had a baby strapped, and she was carrying this huge wooden slab with about 25-30 full-sized loaves of bread. Amazing. I love when taxis or tro-tros stop or pull over, and the market women swarm to the open car windows with their loads--"pure water," bread, platters of dozens of hard-boiled eggs balanced, stacked peanuts (like 8 layers--perfectly balanced), containers with popsicles, soaps, rolls, fried dough balls, oranges, all KINDS of stuff... it's really amazing.

1 comment:

RC said...

BRING ME THOSE CHILDREN! I CAN AFFORD $10!