Sunday, May 4, 2008

Festival at Winneba

There is a small fishing village between Accra and Cape Coast called Winneba. For the past hundreds of years, they have had this annual festival. Apparently, there are a few "groups"/tribes, but the main two have a competition every year. It is the first weekend in May, and they leave early Saturday morning to go to the bush to capture an antelope. (It used to be a tiger long ago, but too many people died apparently, so they switched.) Anyway, whichever group captures the animal alive first, wins for the year. (there's probably more to it than that, but that's the basic idea)

I got some great pics, I'll post later. The tribes are represented with different colors, one yellow, one red. I got my bestie to come with me to the festival. On our way in, this lady was excited to see a white girl, and draped this red cloth around me--she tagged me. Good thing the red team won. :) I showed my red 'flag' proudly.

So after they capture the antelope, they take it down to their shrine, where the high priestesses are chanting and waiting for them to bring the animal. People get "possessed" by spirits...and I actually kinda believe that stuff sometimes...there was this one lady and she was "possessed by a spirit" and speaking in tongues...mmk...but there were sooo many people there, chanting and cheering when they brought the animal. They then take the animal to the chief's house, then sacrifice it on Sunday.

There was a lot of music and dancing--it was a lot of fun to see. Frank and I walked the streets--I wish I could take pics without being completely rude and inappropriate so y'all could see. Naked kids running around in dirt, puddles, trash (Cracker would never survive here), a lady covered head to toe in suds of soap as she washed behind a stone wall that came up to her armpits, old men and women in their tribal garb dancing in the streets, vendors, ladies with all kinds of bundles on their heads, all these men dressed as women, people painted, old worn-out houses, fishing docks... nothing like it. I was glad I was there with Frank--when boys came to hit on the white girl, I just pointed to him, and they left.

Such an interesting culture, and such a different way of life than ours. Always a good reminder to realize how blessed I am, and just how little it actually takes to survive. Frank said it well about the people of Ghana... "They do not have anything to eat, but they have smiles on their faces." It's true. Just makes me think again about what it is that brings true happiness.

1 comment:

Dani said...

It sounds like such a cool experience. I want to see pictures of your ABF!