Sunday, May 11, 2008

Santorini

So we left the amazing island of Mykonos and traveled to another beautiful Greek island of Santorini. Our hotel is right on the black sand beach of the island, so we spent most of the day yesterday working on our tan, but at the end of it we were still no competition for the professional tanners (that's what Maren and I call the people that are perfectly deep bronze all over their bodies -- and I do mean ALL over). Today we took a bus to the town of Thira where we wandered around and decided it would be a good idea to take the foot path to Oia, the next town over. 4 mountains, 3 suburbs and 10 miles later we finally made it to the town of Oia. The views were amazing and true to fashion around every corner was other miniature church. I wonder if these churches were ever all in operation. Has faith and religion around here really deteriorated that much? I'm still obsessed with them with their little blue round roofs. I think Maren will probably kill me if I make her stop one more time for a picture of a white washed church with blue roofs.

Nothing too exciting has happened, but I have felt like I have let down a number of waiters and waitresses. They all ask if we would like coffee and when we say no they are exasperated, however a few minutes later they come back thinking they have a brilliant solution that will make us happy and offer us tea, when we turn that down they really don't know what to do. Last night our waiter brought us a drink "on the house" he said. When I asked what was in it he struggled in broken English to list the ingredients. Finally I cut him off and asked "is there alcohol?" He shook his head sternly and repeated "No, no, no. No alcohol" As I was finally convinced it was safe I lifted it up and the smell of liquor was overwhelming. So we put the drinks back down. Our waiter came back and looking completely rejected asked "you don't want anything we have to offer? no coffee, no tea, no special drink?" I just smiled and asked for the 7th time for the check. We would make lousy Europeans.

No comments: