Thursday, May 29, 2008

Fights

so in my month of travel here in Europe I have been a witness to a number of fights. There was the fight between the bus controller and the Italian man as to why the man hadn't stamped his bus ticket and whether or not he deserved a ticket. There was a fight between a woman and a Greek couple on the ferry because the woman thought the couple was taking up too much room on the bench. There was a fight between the 2 boys of the family we stayed with in Sardinia about which cartoon to watch. There was a fight between a Spanish woman and a taxi driver because she thought she was overcharged for her taxi ride. There was a screaming fight between a couple in Greece that I have no idea what it was about.

But none of these fights compare to the bull fights I witnessed last night (none of my pictures of the fight turned out, so this is one from the internet, but it's exactly like what we witnessed). After seeing it, it's not a surprise that this sport hasn't caught on like soccer across the world, however it was quite an experience. Maren and I found ourselves in a rather large stadium surrounded with men, mostly in their 60s smoking cigars and chewing on sunflower seeds. We saw a total of 6 bulls be killed. I found myself at one time almost cheering for the bull to buck the matador.....I don't think it's a fight I really want to witness again, but it was fun to be part of a Spanish tradition.

No comments: