Monday, May 12, 2008

Kids

We went to Sankofa school today. Interesting. I was under the impression it was an orphanage with a few kids from the village. Well, it's about 300 kids from the village and 10 orphans. Regardless, they all have absolutely nothing and are starving for love and attention. So many kids' flip flops were so worn that the back half was missing. Some kids didn't have shoes. Clothes held together with a few safety pins. It was about the saddest thing ever today when a couple of the girls busted out some water. To see the looks on those kids' faces, it was sad. A couple of them were bold enough to ask for some water, and it just made me sad. Most of the kids don't speak English. Also, most of them are age 0-5. About 150 of them...with 3 teachers. The teacher for the 0-4 year olds has about 90 kids. Seriously like herding cats.

The kids are sweet. During break today, two little girls just came and plopped in my lap and cuddled up next to me and fell asleep within 5 minutes. I've been in management mode for so much of this trip, that it took me back. Kinda a tender moment.

One of the girls in my group is super sick. We tried to take her to the doctor/clinic today, but they'd already closed. She has a hard time standing up or walking. Anything other than curled up in a ball is painful for her. She's cried a lot too. I feel bad. Anyway, we have to take her first thing in the morning. Then, I'm going with Melissa to go retrieve all the stuff that was accidentally donated to the orphanage on the way. Tomorrow should be fun. :)

Tayna managed to offend Mama Charlotte today, and vice versa. Fun cleaning that one up. And I think I managed to offend Papa by making our own travel plans for our trip to Accra tomorrow (LONG story). They're nice, and protective, but TOO much. Pres Ankrah (our driver who unloaded all the stuff) has to rearrange and cancel appointments tomorrow to meet us and help make the situation right. Oh yeah, and I just remembered that I'm supposed to meet Mama Joyce at her school tomorrow morning (she's the one I offended by renigging on the hosting situation). So I guess what I'm saying is that this is not all fun and games. It's great being here, and it's gonna be a great experience, but it's difficult as well...except when I can sneak away and go to New Life to see my kids. I got there today, but had to turn around and come straight back even before going down to see the kids because of Tayna being so sick.

Internet is ridiculous here. I"ve tried to post pics twice now, and it just catches and is just...impossible. When I have more time and more patience, I"ll try again. xoxo

2 comments:

RC said...

Oh that breaks my heart. Feel free to bring me back a child.

Unknown said...

Done. :)