Thursday, May 1, 2008

Cairo Welcomes Me

Poor Clay had to come pick me up at the airport at 3:30am. We get back to his apartment, and like Rachael commented, sleeping is the last thing I want to do after traveling/sleeping for the past 30 hours. After staying awake and chit-chatting with me for a sensible amount of time, he fell asleep on the couch. I am excited to be here.
I had 9 hours to enjoy Frankfurt. There was an outdoor fair-type thing going on in the city center. Street performers at every corner, outdoor vendors selling arts and food and the sorts. I love stuff like that. I felt lucky to be there. I realized as I was sitting on the park bench, by myself, watching all of this take place around me....I am an adult. Here I am in the middle of Germany, by myself. I don't know what took place from the time I was barely able to ride my bike to the store to buy a candy bar to buying a plane ticket around the world.

I was so tired and cold in Frankfurt (my packing list included 2 skirts and one pair of capris, two shirts, and one light-weight fleece) that I went into a church and "meditated" (slept) for a half an hour. I bought a journal the night before I left Provo with the hopes of filling it with all sorts of introspective thoughts--I started writing in it while sitting on a park bench in the middle of this outdoor fair in the Romer Platz. I'm looking forward to all sorts of opportunities to think about things a little differently than I have in the past.
I wasn't sure what to do with all of my time, so I went to a restaurant and ordered Weiner Schnitzel. Sounds like the right thing to do while in Germany, right Gilbert?

6 comments:

RC said...

I LOVE CLAY!!

Unknown said...

HT, I am so glad you made it. And everyone else, too. I got tears in my eyes reading about all of you fanning out across the globe. You are all making history! I'm glad for the blog and will love keeping up on everyone's travels. Love, Mom

Unknown said...

HT! We need to talk about Frankfurt! Did you just leave the airport? Train? Taxi? I'm so excited to see!

Megan said...

I know I shouldn't be envious, but wow. What an incredible opportunity. I'm so excited to follow along (the only traveling I do these days) on your world tour!!

RC said...

Seriously, Clay, I love him.

Dani said...

I love Germany! :)