Sunday, May 11, 2008

"Welcome to Egypt"

"Welcome to Egypt" is a phrase most Cairo Egyptians seem to know how to say. Walking up and down the streets you'll often hear "hello, welcome to Egypt" being called at you from street vendors, passerbys, and from those yelling out of car windows. Tourism is the 2nd largest industry for the country so you can understand why they would want to be so hospitable...

Although English speaking tourism isn't the only kind. Because of this many of the Egyptians are multi-lingual in their attempts to sell you their goods. You'll hear "hello" and when you give them no response they will say "hola" or maybe "bonjour!" After their efforts have been exhausted they say "you speak english? italiano? espanol?"

I've added a bunch of pictures from my stay in Cairo. You can see all sorts of stuff from the local restaurants to the Egyptian-style dumpster (aka apartment stairwell).

Clay's doorman thinks I can understand him when he speaks Arabic to me. Whenever I see him on the street or when I come into the building he starts having a conversation with me. I have no idea what he ever says. I just smile and nod.

This is my last post from Egypt, my plane leaves tonight and I'll meet up with my girls in Thailand. I've so enjoyed being here!! As much as I like dodging cars in the street, I'm excited to see what Thailand has to offer :) Speaking of dodging cars...let me quote something I found in my lonelyplanet travel book.

Playing chicken in Cairo: It may sound silly, but the greatest challenge most travelers face when traveling through Egypt is crossing the street in Cairo. Roads are always frantically busy and road rules are something that the average Cairene has heard of, but only in jokes. Our advice is to position yourself so that one or more locals forms a buffer between you and oncoming traffic, and then cross when they cross - they usually don't mind being used as human shields. Basically, it's a game of chicken. ever, ever hesitate once you've stepped off the sidewalk, and cross as if you own the road. But do it fast!









































































3 comments:

RC said...

Wow! Bring the camel home. He can be our mascot.

Unknown said...

I love it Heather!!

Shannon said...

What amazing pictures. That is so cool that you are out there, what a neat experience.